Most Memorable Dramas: part 1 (K-DRAMA)

I decided to start my first drama related post by just reminiscing my time and thinking back to the dramas that I've watched that are still etched in my heart. I've just realised that there are so many forgotten dramas that perhaps I did like when i watched it back then. I also think that a drama doesn't need to be perfect, no dramas can be perfect but what I perceive as more important is how it affects the audience in a good light. I'm sure that I watched so many well executed dramas in the past but what's the point if it doesn't have an effect on the viewers' hearts. So this post is dedicated to the dramas that won't be forgotten even for years to come :)






As of now, this is a list of k-dramas that I would recommend to others:

K-Dramas:

1. Empress Ki: Yep. still another historical drama that I became crazy over and I might do a longer post about this drama too since it's also very complex. So how to describe this drama other than it being a thought provoking, sometimes crazy, melancholic,a great badass gorgeous female lead, and the 2nd male lead (which becomes the 1st male lead due to popular opinion ) which you can't help but fall in love with despite his imperfections. Also, great cinematography, great costume, & great ost too! Its indeed very frustrating though and the plot line is inconsistent which is a shame. 





2. Queen Seon Duk: Another historical drama that I just re-watched recently that is truly brilliant.It has two strong female leads and i just love the villains in this drama. I AM ALSO IN LOVE WITH BIDAM, the anti-hero of this drama that is acted by one of my favourite actor, kim nam gil. He's a character that will appear in like what, the 20th episode or something in the drama, but he's one of the most memorable character that I'd come across while watching asian dramas. I might do a longer review on my thoughts of this drama because it's just impossible to describe its brilliance in a few sentences. Anyway, just bear through watching the boring beginning episodes, skip some part because I did, and you would not regret it. Like many others, I was also drawn by the character Mishil and I have to admit she is one of the best antagonist in the dramaland. They also have the best schemes that are unpredictable between two intelligent women who covet the throne. It's a great drama for those craving for strong and complex female leads. It's the battle of the intelligence and definitely an era for the women which is definitely something new in Sageuks. Although this drama is far from perfect, it's a must-watch drama for sageuk lovers! 




3. Jumong: As a total historical drama fan, this is the first drama that pulls me in the korean historical drama world. I remembered that I was still a little kid back then and I just forced my entire family to watch it. Surprisingly, they all did and loved it. I would still re-watch this now and rehash some good memories. Oh, and of course, the male lead is hot and the female lead is gorgeous (And smart), what else can you ask for in a drama right? For me, this drama's strength lies in the plot development of how we can witness the transformation of Jumong. We can see how he became from a useless prince to a respectable and formidable ruler. If I were to nitpick, there were probably some weaker points, but overall it was an excellent drama that deserves tons of praises. 

4. King's daughter Soo Baek Hyang: Last historical drama I promise! in a few words this drama is great because of its female and male lead. Their chemistry was great and their relationship developed in a believable manner.It has a somewhat great storyline that makes it not really predictable. however, i really hate and got completely annoyed by the female antagonists in this drama so i kind of have a mixed feeling about it. I hate to admit that like so many historical dramas, this drama does drag in some parts but you can just skip it right :)

5. Innocent man: Song Joong ki is just out-of-this-world handsome & a great actor, without him I'm not sure that I would like this drama as much. It got pretty frustrating but it's worth it and the story line is pretty great unlike those typical cliche dramas. It's sad but personally I like sad dramas so stay away if you don't want to cry your eyes out.




6. Heartless City: Jung Kyung Ho is amazing at his portrayal of a guy that survives in the world of drugs, gangster, and he has that great mysterious aura around him. The romance was pretty great, though limited, and i have to say that the girl is pretty but could have done better in her acting. The plot line has many twist and turns so there's no boring parts for me. All in all, great noir drama if you would like see the cruelty that exist beyond the curtains. Jung Kyung Ho has proven himself as an excellent actor and i'm glad that he's talent is finally acknowledged. 




7. It's okay, that's love: This drama is sweet, romantic but not cheesy, the relationship of the couple is believable, and the guy is just damn sexy in this drama. It's a drama with a great balance of comedy, sad, and meaningful moments that after you watch it, you'll be glad that you come across this great drama. It's something different, and i love it ! I also loveee the music played, definitely a drama that has its own distinct colour. 

 (most light-hearted drama in comparison with all these dramas that I recommended but beware the ending is a bit sad)




8.Two Weeks: Plotline is great and Lee Jun Ki is great. Definitely not a typical drama, full of angst, many twist and turns, and personally i kinda like the romance. 

9. Bad Guy: This is where I go completely bias but I have to recommend this drama just for Kim Nam Gil. I mean like that guy deserves a post of its own. This drama is an addicting dark, revenge drama that will pull you right in from the first episode. however, it's not a perfect drama, in fact there are many flaws but Kim Nam Gil's portrayal of a bad guy here trumps all of that imperfections for me. The ost and cinematography is also pretty great! Also something new in the world of drama cliches.

10. Shark: Reason to watch? Kim Nam Gil and the ost is great. The cinematography also deserves an applause, some scenes are great to look at. I have to say that the plotline is great but you will feel a terrible sadness within so brace yourself for a crazy ride. You will also get an unhealthy amount of angst just from watching this drama but that's just what makes it a great revenge drama.Just like bad guy, this drama is also full of imperfections but i think it's worth it. Son Ye jin is also terrible pretty here, i like :)





There are many more memorable K-dramas but this is all i can think of now so it's to be continued! As you can see, I am not a big fan of rom coms  these past few years unless if they are super good and stay far far away from cliches. So the dramas that I will be reviewing and writing about will mostly be dramas that have a more serious tone to it. idk why, i find that comedy dramas are far too predictable and the romance a bit too cheesy for my liking(maybe i've grown old now or i watch to many of them in the past that i'm kinda sick of it now). I also despise myself sometimes for putting myself through an emotional torture of watching these melancholic dramas. Anyways, I will try to rake my brain and think of more light hearted dramas for the next posts to come :)






No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.

This is how we escape the mediocrity of our life