The Beginning: A Short-lived Happiness // Startling By Each Step

This...This is the kind of drama that I have been looking and yearning for

I thought I knew what sadness is


I thought I have mastered it from the numerous melancholic dramas and movies I loved and have cried buckets for


It was always a fleeting pain to watch characters from a movie die or experience hardships

It turns out it was nothing compared to this epic tale.......

It's not even sadness or pain, it's a mix of emotions of helplessness, grief, heartache, rage, exhaustion,  regrets, relief and the worst being how this time the pain seems to have found a place to forever etched itself in my heart.


 I know i probably moved on someday but I know that from time to time again I will think back to the time when I watch this drama and my heart will ached. 


It's the most beautiful and irresistible pain that I would relive all over again


However the beauty lies in a way that it will always be inexplicable,it can only be felt in our bones and which can only be experienced in those bones

          __________________ 

It's been four years and the hype of it seems to have died down, but here i am experiencing this withdrawal alone...Even worse, I've tried to talk my family members into it and they agreed but deep down I know they won't watch it. With that being said, after going through an emotional turmoil after finishing this drama, I am glad that I did not watch this earlier or else I won't like it as much due to my immaturity.This phenomenal piece has been raved by so many bloggers before and so I'm not going to repeat the brilliance of it.. However, I will offer my in-depth views as well as my personal intake, and thoughts that justified my obsession for this drama. It's also going to be a sort of therapy for me so I'll get the closure that i need before moving forward with my life.

        __________________



First of all, I watch this drama with only knowing that it's a time travel drama and I was pretty intrigued by it especially since i want to see Liu Shi Shi in action after watching Da Mo Yao. So I casually clicked on youtube and honestly I watched it being prepared to drop it. I guess after you matured or after watching so many dramas, I find that it's meaningless to carry on watching a drama that i'm not intrigued in just by watching the beginning episodes. Unless if people would rave about it so much that I would choose to just skip the intro and read the recaps of it (becoming more & more lazy).  Personally I was also doubtful to watch because the drama aired around 4 years ago and I preferred something more recent to ensure a better quality of the drama.


Little did I know, I was pulled right in within the first 15 minutes of the drama. For me this is a rare case considering that usually lots of Sageuks and some Chinese historical dramas usually have super looonnngg introductions. I guess they do serve a good purpose for the overall story but I love how refreshing this drama started. However I still do not have high hopes (Let's not forget here, all of the male leads are bald). In the first episode, I was also particularly impressed by the sets, the costumes, and the cinematography so that was indeed making it a much more enjoyable experience. Surprisingly and thankfully, I wasn't troubled by the dubbed voice at all, maybe it's because I watch a few c-dramas before watching this that my ears are starting to get used to it but i have to say everyone have a good dubbing voice.

________________

The beginning episodes succeeded in building up a  gradual connection between the viewers and Ruoxi, she's such a radiant female character that simply felt real. She's one of the most relatable female characters that I can't seem to find anymore in dramas these days & can I just say why do writers always assume that the general audience like those "Mary-Sue" characters?! It is possible that it's through my hidden frustrations over the drama world nowadays that led me to love this drama even more. I was fascinated by how she's an intelligent, playful, courageous & kind but not stupid. She's also stubborn and strong-willed but she knows that she has to somehow adapt to the Qing customs. The subtle sadness and helplessness that's shown through every gestures and how her eyes are teary in some scenes just makes her one of the best female character I've come across. I realised that some people are kind of baffled by her immaturity when she's actually in her 20s, but I feel like I would be like that too if I were transported back in time. I personally don't think that Ruoxi purposely acts like a 16 years old, instead i feel that despite her fear she's still enthusiastic being in the Qing Dynasty that she used to read in books. Furthermore, for all i know Zhang Xiao is playful by nature, but i can see the depth of her maturity in the quite moments especially when we the drama let us hear her thoughts. We might not agree with some of her conflicting thoughts but that's what makes her so real. I can fully understand how she's conflicted with her worriers and fears. 




 
Can I just say I love how fierce she is in this scene?! She sealed my adoration for her  just from that "shut up!" phrase alone. 









The snow scenes are always a delight to watch and definitely one of the reasons why the drama can easily be associated with a fairytale. Snow just brings melancholy to another level and I've got to say that the snow scene where she laments over her fate is definitely one of the most picturesque scene in this drama. The slow camera work might not be for everybody but it hits all the right spot for me. This still shots are so gorgeous and LSS is so gorgeous. This drama is definitely one of the most artistic drama that I have come across, it's not even how it is shot, it's the whole ambience of it that carries a high level of artistry.
_________________






Despite not having too much knowledge about the drama, i knew that there's going to be a love story somewhere and I am in a deep shit if i choose the wrong OTP (like I did in Da Mo Yao). However I decided that I didn't want to ship anyone and just go with the flow so I resisted for having too much hope for any of the male leads. I was totally proven wrong later on in the drama but oh well..
Ok now let's move on to our beloved princes. From the get go i was intrigued by 4th and i'm fond of seeing the tenderness of our "virtuous 8th prince" .The 10th prince was also enjoyable to watch and i totally get his puppy love for Ruoxi. 13th & 14th prince also caught my eyes, even the "venomous 9th prince" which I find quite attractive at first. No one is glaringly handsome or downright unattractive, so despite their hair, or lack off, I was pretty satisfied with all the males being showed in the beginning episodes. In all honesty, after watching three episodes of bbjx, i already have a hunch that the main OTP will be Si Ye though.. 
________________

Favourite Scenes & edited still shots: 



By the way, I am so amazed by the amount of stunning BBJX shots that I found on various internet sites. It's like I can feel the power of how this drama has created a huge fandom and I'm glad that I'm not the only insane one spending hours to edit these photos. I might be the only one editing these photos in 2015 though lol. yep i just like to stay faraway from the things that people like in the present moment and luckily i still have friends despite my eccentricity. 



Rou Xi: You’re walking around in the dream, once you’re in the dream you want to wake up but you can’t. What should you do?
4th Prince: Six words. Make the best of it. Got it?



It's so peculiar how the scene above is so still, quiet, and yet it flows impeccably.
It's remarkable how the slow gaze of 4th prince and the tender movement of 8th prince combined with Ruoxi's uneasy movement foreshadow their future in a much tranquil manner.






In other words "be flexible in what you do" 
___________


RX: "Tell me, what is a present day person doing in an imperial harem's selection ?"


Her friendship with 13th prince is like a fresh air.. It's indeed rare to see such a profound and pure friendship in such drama.. Exactly what Ruoxi said.. no love or lust, only sincerity.. 






this post has taken me such a long time to finish 
so since i'm exhausted, my bu bu jing xin rave shall be continued.. 



































No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.

This is how we escape the mediocrity of our life