Compilation of unrelated but Great Asian Dramas

I have watched an unhealthy amount of dramas these past few months. It helped me to get through the massive amount of assignments i had as a design student. I've also finally dived into the world of Japanese dramas due to the lack of good quality C-dramas out there. Anyway, i cant wait for imperial doctress to start airing and i really hope some kind souls would sub it fast like nirvana in fire. I also realized my taste of drama is pretty diverse and it's really different now that i'm older. Im not really interested in watching rom coms anymore and i become accustomed to dropping dramas. 
Anyway this is my "odd" list of dramas that i recommend and a short review for all of them: 

1. Nirvana in fire: 

Obviously, this one is a masterpiece and it deserves its own post. I'm so glad that people starts to notice the allure of C-Dramas from this series because it certainly has a different appeal than Sageuks. This also confim my belief that Chinese are better than Koreans in making historical/period dramas. Now when I watch Saguek I find that most of them that I watch tend to focus  a lot on their childhood days and background information. I get annoyed because it's so repetitive, like yes we know you have a horrible childhood, next please. It sometimes feels like their trying to get the empathy of the viewers but it gets so tiring seeing similar childhood stories in K-Dramas (which sometimes take up a whole 10+ episodes).


2.Tiger mom


Oh god i just love Zhao Wei. If i have to choose one actor/actress in the entire world it would be her. She's like my role model so i'm bias to all her works. But i would say that this one is a great family drama and it really hits home for me. It really reminds me of my own family where EVERYONE meddles about the private lives of another. What I love about C-dramas is definitely their ability to warm up your hearts, slowly but surely. It's the kind of drama that you can watch while you're doing assignments or doing any daily activities. There's also a realistic appeal to it which I always look for in a drama. It also gives a refreshing perspective on Chinese tough education in comparison to the west. I also like how it teaches me about finding the balance of ambition and just simply having a good life.  Sometimes constantly trying to be on the top is so exhausting and it requires certain sacrifices.

I also like Tong Dawei, even though his character is soooo confused?? and not assertive AT ALL. With this kind of character sometimes you just want to scream. But, in a weird way, I do like his relationship with Vicki here and it ends well. He has redeeming qualities and Vicki's character is flawed also which definitely adds realism to the drama.



3. A Thousand Day's promise

If you're searching for a melodrama, look none other than this drama. I'm a master of melodrama so believe me in this one. Soo Ae is stunning in this drama and I became a fan of her ever since. You might be thinking that this is just another kind of "a person getting sick, self-pity, finding love despite the misery and other drama cliches" but NO. Soo Ae's character is pretty dark and her thinking is so intriguing as a dementia patient . Her pain feels so real and her raw anger is realistically reflected in this drama. The relationship of the main leads are also very complex, in a good but heartbreaking way.

4. Dear Sister


My first Japanese drama since what, like 2005. It's a chill drama and sometimes it's necessary to watch this kind of drama after watching an angsty, suspenseful drama. It focuses on the relationship between two sisters with contrasting personalities. I like Ishihara Satomi here and she's a real beauty indeed. I also like his relationship with Hachi and how it progresses. It's also a slice-of-life drama which is one of my favorite genre these days. This is the kind of drama that I would rewatch and feel good about.



5. Saki

On the lookout for a psychological, slow but suspenseful drama? It's a revenge drama where Nakama Yukie is at the center of it. This J-drama is endearing and complex. It makes me think that Japanese dramas are so twisted sometimes that it's good. You will never eat steak the same way again though. I feel like this is the first time I've encountered a main lead like her. She's evil but you still like her despite the bad deeds she's doing. I would however say that her actions are unjustifiable but despite all that I wouldn't say she's 100% at fault.  It's hard to put it into words but it's definitely a must watch for me.

6. Nagareboshi



A nice twist of the usual romance drama. The story is about a girl who works in a sex industry and a guy who has a sick sister. The sister is in the verge of dying and needed a liver to live. So the guy did a contract marriage with the girl who decided she would exchange her liver for a huge sum of money to pay back her debts. It's certainly not rainbows and butterflies but it's also not a crying fest either. Everything in this drama moves pretty slowly though so I guess it's not suitable for people who likes fast paced drama. Ueto Aya is my eye candy here, she's pretty and her acting is great too. The guy is also not bad too though he gets a bit frustrating at the end. You can also multi task while watching this drama.




Side note:

Look forward to my next post about my newly found obsession: Detective,mystery, suspense, psychological Dramas.

OH and I CAN'T WAIT FOR IMPERIAL DOCTRESS to air and be subbed *cross finger*. I want to try to do recaps & review for it but it depends on the amount of work load I'm going to have in the next few weeks. I realized that it's hard to do a pure recap after watching it for the 2nd time, usually the 1st watch is still the best..





No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.

This is how we escape the mediocrity of our life