The crooked kind // Elementary's Sherlock Holmes









Oh Dear Sherlock, how utterly brilliant and devastating the inner works of your mind are..



_________________________________________________________________________________


I have taken a break from the world of Asian dramas and I decided to take a detour to the brilliance of western TV series. I have been unhealthily marathoning a few series and catching up with a few ( Game of thrones, grey's anatomy, etc etc) and started on an amazing one called elementary. It definitely exceeds my initial expectations of a detective genre series which I was not so fond of watching before. Sherlock Holmes, who was acted by sir Jonny lee Miller, was stunning and remarkable, that alone is a significant reason of watching this series. I love his platonic partnership and friendship with Watson, however I do sometimes wish that they will cross the boundaries of friendship. I go back and forth in wanting them to be "romantically" together and being "just friends" just because the beginning of love is also mostly the start of separation. Their relationship is so odd and right at the same time, it's hard to exactly define what is really happening between them. This series also makes me come to a realisation that I need my own Holmes. 



The crime scenes and the sub stories in this series are fascinating but what keeps me going is seeing the gradual development of the characters especially Sherlock and Watson. In American Tv series, it is practically impossible to see the kind of characters they portray and the relationship they have with each other. If you watch Nashville or mistresses, you know what I mean.  The things that sherlock says are so interesting; it can be humorous, intelligent, annoying, and entertaining. 



"My father packed me off to boarding school when I was just 8 years old, hmph. I was a little bit of a know-it-all, well, a massive know-it-all, actually."


"After many, many hours, I've come to most wretched of realizations. One that might curdle your very blood. You are my friend."




Sherlock: One of the things I've gained from our collaboration is the working definition of the word, "friendship". Friendship, I've come to believe, is most accurately defined as two people moving towards the best aspects of one another. It is a relationship of mutual benefit, mutual gain. Another thing I've learned is that my isolationist tendencies are decidedly not my best quality. I am not a better person because of a lack of connection. So I think the healthy thing is for you to not move in my direction. In fact, quite the opposite. Joan: That's worth thinking about.




"Our relationship is predicated on one Holmes and one Watson. It's a delicate homeostasis. It doesn't function properly if there are two Holmeses and no Watsons. So while I am sensitive to this is likely a ripple effect from the tragedy, turning yourself into me in response is not good for our partnership."

nicely put, sherlock.





 "Enjoy yourself, Watson."

"I'll try, Holmes."




____________


Sometimes, I feel like I understand him even though he's just a fictional character. The thing he says, it just resonates something within me. Somehow, I understand why he's a drug addict, it just makes absolute sense. He sees everything, everyone, He understands them. How noisy his world must be. How cluttered his mind must be. His mind is beyond busy so naturally he craves for something that can mute it for awhile at least. It's insane if he can live normally like other people.



I often wonder if I should have been born at another time. My senses are unusually, some might say unnaturally keen, and ours is an era of distraction. It's a punishing drumbeat of constant input. It follows us into our homes and into our beds. It seeps into our... Into our souls, for want of a better word. For a long time, there was only one solution for my raw nerve endings and that was copious drug use. In my less productive moments, I'm given to wonder.... If I had just been born when it was a little quieter out there, would I have even become an addict in the first place? Might I have been more focused? A more fully realized person?





 

Joan Watson: "It's so incredible, the way that you can solve people just by looking at them."

......

Sherlock Holmes: It has its costs.

Joan Watson: What does?

Sherlock Holmes: Learning to see the puzzle in everything. They're everywhere, once you start looking, it's impossible to stop. I just so happens that people, and all the deceits and delusions that inform everything they do, tend to be the most fascinating puzzles of all.

............

Now I think if I were to use drugs again, it would, in fact, be an anticlimax. It would be a surrender to the drip, drip, drip of existence.




Sherlock: No, it *hurts*, Agatha. Everything I see, everything I hear, touch, smell. The conclusions I'm able to draw, the things that are revealed to me, the ugliness. My work focuses me. It helps. You say I am using my gifts. I say I'm just treating them.

_____________

This series also has Natalie Dormer in it playing the great and evil Moriarty as well as Irene Adler, The great love of Sherlock. I just love Natalie Dormer. She is an enigma and her presence can't be underestimated, nor in this series or in other series she's a part of. I just want to paint a portrait of her face in a canvas like seriously. 







 _______________


While watching this series, I can't help but imagine being drawn into Sherlock's world. It's hard not to, really. The world that he built, especially in his living quarter, the brownstones, is just so captivating just like his character.  I'm going to New York in a few more months and I just can't help but want my own brownstones. 




The woods are lovely, dark, and deep.
But I have promises to keep.
And miles to go before I sleep.
And miles to go before I sleep. 

_________________________________________________________________________________

Oh and may I say that some of the soundtracks of this series are worth listening to. The sountracks perfectly nailed the ambience of the scenes I, with my dark thoughts and all, personally recommend these songs:



1. "Beekeeper" - Keaton Henson

Believe me,
Believe me, this loneliness won't go away
Hear me,
Oh, woman that has gone astray
Gone astray

Your friends,
Your friends will always just be in your way
Trust me,
They'll die or leave you, either way
Either way

You all say I've crossed a line,

But the sad fact is I've lost my mind

2. The crooked kind- Radical Face 

I heard you tellin' lies
I heard you say you weren't born of our blood
I know we're the crooked kind
But you're crooked too, boy, and it shows

Some get dealt simple hands
Some walk the common paths, all nice and worn
But all folks are damaged goods


3. The long haul-black english 

We’ll be fine I’m sure
Just use the other door
I wanna have a house like they did
We wrestled till we cried
They fucked our state of mind
Don’t celebrate me ’cause I’m jaded

No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.

This is how we escape the mediocrity of our life